Tuesday, November 13, 2012

First Tasting: Humulus Belgica

I’m pretty happy with the way my Belgian IPA turned out. There are a few things I would change, for one, I would probably dry hop with whole hops. I think that the aroma would be bigger and cleaner if I used whole hops for dry-hopping instead of pellets. I would also ferment at a lower temperature to reduce the fusel alcohol flavors. I would also probably leave the beer on the dry-hops for a little bit longer, perhaps 10-12 days, instead of 8 days, but I was worried about grassy aromas.

Appearance: Hazy orange-yellow with a fluffy white head about a finger thick that lingers and slowly fades to a thin lacing over the top of the beer. I don’t mind that it’s hazy, Belgian yeast, especially Trappist yeast are notoriously bad at flocculating.

Aroma: I’m pleased with the aroma. I would have liked the American hop aromas to be a little more apparent, but I think they mix with the Trappist yeast perfectly. There are notes of grapefruit, citrus, and spices such as cinnamon, and clove.

Taste: Surprisingly sweet tasting considering it dried out pretty low. It’s bready and earthy with spicy notes. The hops provide a nice grapefruit touch. Next time I might decrease the amount of candi sugar and lower the mash.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium-low carbonation and a dry finish with a short lived bitterness. There is a touch of booziness on the back end, but it has faded with time in the bottle. Next time I’ll try to ferment a little cooler.

Overall: I’m very pleased with how this one turned out. There are a few things I would change but over all I’m really happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment